Guest Post: Sofia of Quarters and Caviar

My name is Sofia and I thought I would help Maddy out while she is on vacation in Paris. It's all April showers here in the Midwest and a spring break is exactly what I need. However with a few weddings coming up later this year, I don't have the cash handy to spend on getting away for a few days. That doesn't mean that I can't relax. I am planning a staycation of my own, so I can re-energize before the buzz of busy summer schedules kick in. I thought I would include a few helpful sites, which might make trip planning easier or save you some cash.

• Try to plan for a vacation so you are traveling in the off season. For example, I have been to Provincetown, MA for a relaxing getaway a few times and it's always been in March, October or beginning of September when tourist season is winding down. Prices drop dramatically when it's not peak tourist season. The same room I have stayed in, is usually $145 during peak season, but I have only paid $45- $65/night because I have planned my trip during the off season. Yes it's not as hoppin and warm during the fall or winter, but I still had a great time and saved over $100/night on a play to stay. Sometimes Paris in the springtime is just what you need, so this isn’t always the best option for everyone.

• Also take a look at Airbnb if you are adventurous and want a different experience altogether like Maddy did.

• Bring your travel accessories with you. A neck pillow can be a life saver, but you don't need to pay $25 at the airport gift shop for one. At Target you can buy one for $12.99.
• Check out sites like Kayak and Airfarewatchdog so get the best airfare deals. Try to wiat until Tuesday or Wednesday for the lowest deals. Also remember to clear out your history cache before researching deals as well.

• Sign up for coupon sites for the location you are traveling to well in advance. Sites like Travelzoo, LivingSocial or Groupon have local deals and just because you aren't a local doesn't mean you can't take advantage of them. I went snorkeling for $18 in Catalina Island last year by using this idea. It would have cost $38/person for a guided tour including a waterproof camera and gear, which for 4 people adds up, but by purchasing this deal, we were able to afford it for the same price as a movie might cost. Just remember to read the fine print and the expiration date before buying. Also call the vendor directly to make sure they have availability during the time you are planning on using the deal.

• If you are staying in the US and renting a car, Gasbuddy is a great site, which allows you to compare nearby gas prices before driving up to the pump. this is also helpful, when you need directions to the nearest gas station. It's a free app you can use on your phone or on your computer.
• If you are traveling overseas, visit Oanda to get the skinny of the currency exchange rate, so you get more bang for your peso
• If you can’t afford to travel right now, but just need a break from the monotony. See if there is a local hotel with spa services nearby or even included in their amenities. You could book a night and not have to worry about making your bed, get a mani/pedi or some spa services like a body scrub or massage and a nice brunch. 24 hours off line and some nice alone time is sometimes that all you may need, without having to travel.

Hope you have a great time on vacation where ever you end up going.

--
Caviar and Quarters

Thank you so much Sofia!! I am having a little trouble with some links but should have it fixed shortly!

1 comments:

« »

MP Daily All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger