let's get roasted

Let me first be clear and give my mom major props. She can cook. We were even once in the paper (slow news week) for all the different kind of food we ate growing up. But one of my less that favorite meal memories would be the veggie side dish. More often than not, they were steamed, broccoli, asparagus or my least favorite carrots. But then about 5 years ago, the tides shifted. Roasting veggies became all the rage and I for one, couldn't be happier. Honestly, I have not yet met a vegetable that didn't taste better with some olive oil, salt and pepper and placed into a high heat oven for 20-40 minutes depending on the veggie. Here are a few of  my favorites.What about you? Any other ones that I should put on the rotation?



.

Clockwise starting at the top left
1. Roasted Cauliflower via Wondering Spice. I had honestly given up on cauliflower years ago. It always seemed like the last option (besides carrots for me) at the veggie and dip station. But guys, when these puppies get roasted, they turn into something really special. Mix in some curry powder, or the suggested tahini dip and you will never look at these albino broccoli in the same light.
2. Roasted cabbage via Wellness Mama. Cabbage has so much more to offer than just coleslaw. I particulrly love when the edges get nice and brown.
2. Marniated and Roasted Onions via Kalyn's Kitchen. I first saw this recipe on Pinterest and knew that it had to be mind. Honestly, balsamic vinegar and onions are a match made in heaven.Get them ready the night before and enjoy! Seriously, they are the bomb.
4. Roasted Acorn Squash with Chili Lime Vinaigrette via The Traveler's Lunchbox. Perfectly in season and totally filling. I could make an entire meal out of this.

A few other shout outs: Chili Garlic Roasted Broccoli, Roasted Green Beans with Sage, Momofuku Roasted Brussels Sprouts, and Roasted Eggplant with smoked almonds and goat cheese.

5 comments:

  1. Try roasted broccoli using the Barefoot Contessa recipe - delicious!

    Also, roasted brussel sprouts with just olive oil, salt and pepper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KK-- I just looked up the Barefoot Contessa broccoli. Looks amazing!!

      Delete
  2. i need to do the roasted cabbage. looks so good! so glad to have my inspiration back. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fennel sliced thin like the cabbage is also the bomb, we are having it tonight.

      Delete
  3. roasted brussels sprouts with some pancetta. upgrade!

    ReplyDelete

« »

MP Daily All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger